Pages

12.21.2011

My Journey With Editing...

I wanted to share with you how I have improved, not for my benefit but because I am simply SO excited to see that I have improved, even though I still have a lot to learn!

I have been working to make my photos more natural, colorful and less intense. Some people edit their pictures to the point that it looks VERY edited. That's cool and all, but that's not me. I would rather have light and natural photos. I don't use PhotoShop. I use Photo Explosion! I found it for $30 at Target. Sweet!

Some might think that it is easy making pictures look natural. It's not that easy. Haha! First, many original shots do not have much color in them, at least, not as much as I would like. You have to add color to them. Then sometimes, the colors don't balance well. You might have to change the hue of certain colors, like red, just a tad bit so that it does not look so orange-y. Yes, orange-y. From there I sometimes like to lower the contrast so that the pictures do not look so bold, but instead soft.

Anyways, the point is: It can be a long and complicated process to simply make a picture look natural.

Now, I am no where near the level of a professional. My pictures are no where near as clear, balanced, natural and soft as photographers like The Photography of Haley Sheffield and Anna Daniels Photography. However, I have seen improvement in my editing. Which seriously makes me happy!

Here are some pictures that I have taken this year! I still have SO MUCH to learn about editing (and taking pictures) but I am so happy to see the improvements!



I honestly can't remember when I took this photo. I want to say it was in 2011, but I can't recall. Note: This is with my old camera (Canon G9 Powershot), not my new Nikon.

What I could change: A lot! Haha! Lighten their faces and skin color, just to open up their faces.
 Lighten the picture, just in general. Lighten the background a little. Maybe lighten the edges.
Note: I noticed that lightening a picture makes many pictures much softer. This picture is a little
too bold for my liking.


This picture is from earlier this fall.

What I could change: less contrast might be the biggest thing I see. maybe a different tone.


This one, also from earlier this fall.
What I could change: find a way to make this warmer tone less orange-y.
find a way to make the picture a little more soft.


A very recent shot, late fall. (See? More natural!)

What I could change: work to lighten the face a little more, just a tiny bit.
Shot taken last week. (Definitely more natural!)

What I could change: Learn how to make her skin look natural, still have color, but not so red.
Maybe a little more contrast.

If you all have any tips or advice about my editing. Please comment! I would love all the help I can get! You do not have to have a blogspot account to comment on this site, so PLEASE comment! Your advice is greatly appreciated! ♥

~Mrs. S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your opinions! Do you have any advice for me? I'd love to hear from you!